Red Wing, Minnesota, is an historic river town nestled into the Mississippi River bluffs just one hour from Minneapolis-St Paul, Rochester, MN, and Eau Claire, WI. It is a wonderful destination spot any time of year. Red Wing has much to offer such as enjoying the mighty Mississippi River from the parks and walkways adjoining it. A hike up Barn Bluff affords panoramic views of the surrounding area that go for miles. Drive the Mississippi River Road for spectacular scenery and you can even go eagle watching.
Major Not-to-Miss Attractions
- A stroll through Red Wing’s historic downtown district,
featuring an array of specialty shops, antique stores, boutiques,
local eateries and bars.
- Hike the famous Barn Bluff and enjoy panoramic views of the Mississippi River and downtown Red Wing.
- See a show at the Sheldon Theatre, a historic performance venue built in 1904.
- Visit Hanisch Bakery—winner of WCCO’s 2016 viewer’s choice award for Best Donuts in Minnesota.
- Book a tour of the St. James Hotel to take you back to a bygone era, or simply walk right in to enjoy a meal or beverage at one of the hotel’s restaurants.
- Grab a bite to eat at the Red Wing Brewery, voted Red Wing’s #2 restaurant—try their famous pizza while sipping on a local brew!
- Visit one of Red Wing’s waterfront parks—Baypoint Park, Levee Park or Colvill Park.
- During the Winter months, head on over to Welch Village for a day of skiing and snowboarding.
- For golf lovers, courses options include Red Wing Golf Course, Mississippi National Golf Links and Mount Frontenac.
- Visit the Red Wing Shoe store to see The World’s Biggest Boot!
- Visit the Pottery Museum and Red Wing Pottery & Stoneware Company to learn about Red Wing’s historic pottery industry.
- Take a drive on the Great River Road for eagle watching and scenic views of the Mississippi River.
- Embark on the Lake Pepin Wine Trail—on which you will visit four wineries while passing through small towns full of charm, history, shopping and beautiful scenery.